Wednesday 14 March 2012

A visit to the Adelaide Botanic Gardens

When I was a young girl, my Poppa (grandfather) used to work at the Adelaide Botanic Gardens. My 2 brothers and I have many fond memories of my Grandma taking us into the gardens to have a picnic lunch with Poppa on the days when he worked. So many wonderful things experienced, and memories made. I even remember the metal cups that we used to share the can of drink between us all :)

Yesterday we took a trip down memory lane.

Little Mister and I met up with my Grandma (Poppa passed away some years ago now) and my cousin and her "charge"... at the Adelaide Botanic Gardens, for a picnic lunch and a meander through the Bicentennial Conservatory and other garden buildings, over the lawns and stopped to interact with the ducks and cod in the lake.

It was a lovely day with beautiful weather and friendly company.

Perhaps, with enough of these visits, Little Mister will have fond memories of this special place too.

 
Inside the Bicentennial Conservatory at the Adelaide Botanic Gardens

 
Little Mister and his Great Grandma standing in front of a Pandanas plant in the Bicentennial Conservatory

 
The Simpson Shadehouse

 
Inside the Simpson Shadehouse (it was HOT outside, but so cool in hear)

 
Great Grandma with Little Mister sitting on the edge of the Amazon Waterlily Pond

 
A Waterlily in the Amazon Waterlily Pavillion

 
Palm House

 We finished our morning with a picnic lunch on the shady lawns overlooking Nelumbo Pond, which is an outdoor pond so much covered with waterlily's and other plants, that it looks like grass!

Come (later) Autumn, I would love to take Little Mister back again, to see all the gorgeous colours that come with the season. One fond memory from childhood for me, is skipping through all the fallen Autumn leaves :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear you ...